HEADER

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Fresh Raspberry Yogurt Smoothie. Hooray For Microflora!

After a late night salad-like nacho meal which probably wasn't a good idea in retrospect. I'm making some much needed dietary adjustments to heal from the new gluten intolerance that tried to assassinate my gut recently, and I can't be getting too far off track if I want this to be smooth.

Now that more items left my diet, it feels hard to get food. I'm having all these cravings so it was a good thing that market up the block had organic raspberries on sale. SCORE. I bought four clamshells of them mean Mamas, and used them the moment I got home with a lassi-type yogurt drink. 

Yogurt and it's active cultures are just what I need to help my gut and put back in some good microflora. Yogurt has some other great benefits such as increasing lactose absorption, which someone who's intolerant like me could use. It's full of D and B vitamins, which is awesome too.

While more studies are needed on the benefits, yogurt has also shown to have positive effects on the immune system, hair, nails, hypertension, yeast infections, cholesterol,  irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and general gastrointestinal health.


I have a yogurt maker. I want to get some cultures and start making my own vegan yogurt. Coconut would be sweeeet.

Yeah, yogurt is awesome, but raspberries are no slouch either. Raspberries are an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer composite fruit. Ha! Bet you didn't know raspberries aren't true berries. Its a aggregate fruit. Otherwise known as an etaerio, that develops from a merger of several ovaries that were separate in a single flower. 

Another fun raspberry tidbit is that it seems that metabolism in our fat cells are increased by raspberries awesome phytonutrients. What that does is decrease the risk of obesity and risk of getting a fatty liver. 

Sounds like some nice, clean eating to me. So let's get it crackin'. By the way, I'm not one for precise amounts. I just throw things together and eat. 

  • Several big spoonfuls of organic plain lowfat yogurt.
  • A big handful of raspberries
  • A splash of almond milk
  • A spoonful of honey
  • Some hemp seeds. 

Throw it in a blender, and voila! I use the Vitamix. It's amazing.



Health Benefits of Yogurt
http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/animal-product/health-benefits-of-yogurt.html

Whats New and Beneficial About Raspberries?
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=39


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...